tiistai 28. helmikuuta 2017

Seminar #2 Fieldwork


The set text “Reading the Landscape: describing and interpreting field sites“ indicates how the fieldwork can be used in your own research. It recommend of using notebook for writing or sketching all your thoughts down, which you might not remember afterwards. Also by sketching what you see or what are you interested makes you to look the object/view more closely.  The main point is to put everything down and not leave anything out even you won´t use that in that specific project, but you mind come back to it in your other projects. (Phillips and Johns, 2012)

Me myself the most important design tools are my phone and small black notebook.  I take pictures anywhere I go with my phone. It can be architecture, textures, fabrics or interested garment in streetscape. To my notebook I write things what come to my mind or I draw shapes of clothes I think I could use in my coming collection, but I also research capture lot of pictures from social media, internet and books.

I think in fashion designer take lot of inspiration from past fashion style periods and modify them into more modern designs. I think found fashion images are important to understand history of fashion.

I don´t know how would I use soundscapes and/or smellscapes in your own discipline. 
I will be continuing my developing practice research subject to my final project. I´m interested of technical aspects of design and in my last project I was researching different pleating techniques and I developed different hand pleating techniques and used on of them in my final garment. For my final project I fill be researching more pleating techniques and I will be visiting Ciment Pleating workshop as my “fieldwork” research. My own find text "The art of folding: Creative forms in design and architecture" gives me the basic knowledge of heat-set pleating method, which Ciment Pleating workshop is using. In this pleating method pleating happens using two already pleated sheets of Kraft paperboard that fit together perfectly as a mould for the fabric. The fabric would be placed carefully between the Kraft paperboards and next step is “the most delicate part of progress” where from both end of the table person will be shaping the pleats by hand. For the last the paperboards are rolled up and put into a steamer. Temperature used in the steamer depends of what material will be used. (Trebbi, 2015, pp.68-71) In my fieldwork I will observe the working method, interview the staff, taking lot of research pictures and I will also try how different fabric materials will work with the pleating method.

 Reference list:
Phillips, R & Johns , J. (2012) “Reading the Landscape: describing and interpreting filed sites”, Fieldwork for Human Geography, London: Sage, pp. 115-142. File 2.6MB

Trebbi, J-C. (2015) The art of folding: Creative forms in design and architecture. Spain: Promopress.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti